Thank you so much for volunteering your time to ref! Ship AYSO is an all volunteer organization. We greatly appreciate you!
Here is some information that will be helpful for you:
- Ship AYSO wants to make sure that all of our volunteers are equipped with the knowledge and training they need. Go to www.aysotraining.org to receive online training for referees. The Referee Administrator will let you know about training events we offer.
- All volunteers in Shippensburg AYSO are required to take Safe Haven online. This can be done at www.aysotraining.org
If you are already certified as a basic ref and would like to complete your intermediate certification or if you are already certified at the intermediate level and would like to complete your advance certification please contact our Referee Administrator.
We are trying to schedule local intermediate and advance level classes but need to know if any of our volunteers are interested.
Safety is everyone’s responsibility…Coaches, Players, Referees and Parents! We need to insure that we are providing a safe and enjoyable environment for our children. If you notice unsafe conditions on the field or if the goals look to be unsafe please notify your coach and the regional Safety Director at Safetydirector@shipayso.org. Click on the links below for additional safety information from the AYSO website.
- Always remember that the game is for the players. Player safety and fair play come first.
- Study and learn the Laws of the Game and understand the “spirit” of the Laws. Help fellow referees do the same.
- Encourage and enforce the AYSO philosophies of “Everyone Plays,” “Positive Coaching” and “Good Sportsmanship.”
- Respect other referees’ decisions, and do not publicly criticize another official.
- Wear the proper uniform and keep it in good condition.
- Maintain good physical condition so you can keep up with the action.
- Stay calm when confronted with emotional reactions from players, coaches and parents.
- Honor accepted game assignments. In an emergency, find a replacement.
- Support good sportsmanship with a kind word to players, coaches and parents of both teams when deserved.
- Always be fair and impartial, avoiding conflicts of interest. Decisions based on personal bias are dishonest and unacceptable.
Click on the following links for Referee information:
Understanding the offside rule: